Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's been awhile

So much on my mind and there's no way this short entry will be sufficient but.....

Noel: The dang storm did a ton of damage. The roads turned into rivers, homes turned into pools, and people and animals lost their lives. We didn't have power for 8 days and food was becoming scarce. Luckily all of the PCTs are ok. The water group was evacuated from their training site by hellicopter. That made for a good story. There's some good footage of the damages caused by the storm on You Tube...check it out and let me know what you think.

Site: I received my official placement last week! I'll be in a small community surrounded by the mountains of the Cordillera Central in the province of San Jose de Ocoa (I left San Jose, Ca to end up in San Jose of the DR...go figure). It takes 1hr 45min to get to the community from the city. The road is really dangerous and scary, but leads to my paradise. Fast facts: the community is made up of 54 houses, there's a school that goes up to 5th grade with 45 students, the community has had an agro-forestry PCV in the past so there is tons of vegetation, I live near a river, It is really cold at night (yay!), my outhouse is about 50 yards away from my house, I use the "pee pot" at least twice a night, It's amazing.....you should come visit.

Early XMAS: Thanks Mom, Tracy, Juvie, Christine and Danny for the wonderful packages and mail. I received everything last week when I arrived back at the capital and enjoyed my early Christmas. Some highlights were: post-its, tapatio packets, M&Ms, UNR stickers, trail mix, granola bars, Gulliver's Travels, magazines and batteries. Don't worry, I am sharing my goodies with the other PCTs. Again, thanks so much for making me feel special.

Communication: Once I am permanently at my site I will only be able to check my email bi-monthly. Please remember to send me messages and or funny emails whenever possible. It'll be a nice balance to all the messages I get from my mom telling me of a new personal item she has decided to sell or give away (love you mom).

17 comments:

Ashley and Mike said...

I have been checking your blog every day to hear you're ok! Thank god! Wow it sounds like you're seeing some really interesting stuff. Rock on with the pee pots. We have those at our cabin. Um, Espie, guess what?!?! IM PREGNANT! There ya go, there's your exciting tid-bit of the day! Im due early July. It's kinda early for me to be telling people, but I thought it would be fun to tell you. Well take care of yourself. I love and miss you!

Zo said...

Hey! So glad to hear that you're ok! I miss you every time I go to the airport because I don't have anyone to call =(. It's awesome that everything seems to be going great for you, good luck with everything. Miss you lots!

Alma said...

mija, stay away from the cliffs and rushing rivers. Thanks for the update on where you are moving to. layer your clothes and you should be pretty warm. update us on your thanksgiving holiday. big hug. QTCD mom

DannyHoch said...

Glad to hear your okay, I bet the snickers I sent are pretty much melted right now if they were not taken by the post office there. booo Anyways good luck on yourt swearing in Wednesday. Agian you impress me with your strength and courage. Love you and talk to you soon.

Patrick said...

he dogs name is Vino, he is super cute. I dont know when she is due... 8 months from now. I seriously get stoked whenever you post a new message on here. it is nice to hear how things be with you. I am looking into the option of grad school... in more ways then one...*shudder*.ah damn i just noticed ashlee said she was prego in her comment, now mine sucks by comparison. oh well. tomorrow i am getting the tat worked on again so youll have to check for a pic of two. I wish i could see where you are gonna be, i bet it is breathtaking. stay strong stay happy. love ya.

Alma said...

Esperanza, I am at Tia vanchi's we are all going to send you a message using my log in. love mom

feo This is your tio el number one. I sure miss you. Love u
your tio.

Alma said...

Heyyy Espie.
We Miss YOu And We Hope
To See You Supper Soon.
Cos We ALL Miss You.=]
Welll.
Good Luck With Everything.
Okay.
<33 Yah.
-jENNEy.<3

Alma said...

Hello Pelancho!! :)
This is your tia Vero, We are really missing you on this special day. I hope you are good and eating well. Your tio says hi, and Mom misses you alot and said to tell you she LOVES you very much!!
Que Dios te bendiga y que te quide <3

Alma said...

Pelancho i miss you oh so
Dearlyy.Lol.
But really i do.;D
I want you to come backk now 4 suree.
so WE can go to the mall.lol.
I hopee you takke care and be safee.
I love youu.
-Samantha<33

Alma said...

Hey Pelancho,
Hope you are enjoying you're time abroad! We are having a great time as usual, however we sure miss you. Your tia's beet salad is the best ;-) Love you and please take care of yourself.

Tia Vanchy

Alma said...

hey ,
how are u well i cant talk alot cuze its not front to front but ya
well i luv u
junior

Alma said...

Heyy =)
This is diane..the tall gurl. haha. How have you been? Hope everything is going great. Keep
up all the hard work. Wish you
the best and good luck with
eing and anything you do. Well
take care and have a great time.
Love always,
Diane

Alma said...

Hola Pelancho!

Bye bye from Julie

AliG said...

Hi Pelas. We just finished one of those traditional Garcia Thanksgiving meals. Tio David gave thanks, he kept it really simple .. which isn't always easy for him. We had 2 turkeys (which you wouldn't have tasted anyhow) and lots of fixin's. I'm thinking that you would have eaten most of the sides. :)
Your tio Nacho moved the tables and now I am waiting for the traditional dancing ... where your poor mom will once again be dragged out on the floor and we get to witness her once a year dance. I sign off with much love, blessings and thanks for you.
P.s.. Ari says that now that you're away, it's only natural that she's in charge now.

Gary said...

Hey Esperanza!

It's my first T-day with your family, and you're not here. Some people have been speculating that we're actually the same person and that's why only one of us can attend. That's crazy--I'm so much funnier than you are--how could anyone confuse us?

Anyway, I'm supposed to tell you that your family served only yucca & plantain to show solidarity for your hardships there. In particular, your mom was very concerned that if I mentioned Lenora's   s  a  l  s  a   you'd be overcome with homesickness. (Oops, sorry.)

So? How to describe the scene here? Kids everywhere, small dogs yelping under foot, at least two different songs playing on two different sound systems at all times in the same room. You know--a Garcia gathering!

I won't say all the mushy stuff about how I miss you because, well, we hardly ever see each other. But I will add my name to the list of people who admire you for transporting yourself there to be of service.

I'll try to drag your Tia Alicia down there some time. In the meantime, try not to listen to the near-subsonic whine of small, winged invertebrates boring through the fragile mesh around your bed!

-Gary

Alma said...

Hey Pelancho =]
Its Jannelle. Hope Your
doin good over there.We all miss you. Have fun, and hope to see you soon. Love Ya Lots.

Dr. Mel said...

Hi Espy...the Health Ecology Dept and School of Public Health are so excited for you in what you are doing.

Would it be ok to publish some of your blog comments on our Website--we want to show you off!

Be safe and happy and be blesed...Mel Minarik