Tuesday, August 28, 2007

13 days

The purpose of this blog "thingy" is to keep in touch with family and friends (all 4 of you) during my 26 months in the Dominican Republic as a Peace Corps Trainee and Volunteer. I'm hoping that this form of communication will ease the minds of loved ones in the U.S. while also providing a place for me to vent, share, and simply inform of my experiences in my new home.

Hmmmm.....did anyone watch The Hills last night? Sad to admit, but I'm going to miss trashy mtv shows.

Ok back to DR stuff.

I was reading on a current PCV's blog about learning to dance merengue and bachata and I'm totally looking forward to that. Partly because it'll be a nice change from the USA funky cheer dances (shout out to those who know what I'm talking about), and mainly because I want to battle with all you fouette, plie, releve, soutenu, tendue-ers when I get back. Let's take a second and think about how ridiculous that sounds.....

I have to measure my luggage. Peace Corps Trainees are only allowed to take 2 checked bags and 1 carry-on. 26 months of life into 3 bags....that's crazy! Looks like I won't be setting up a Bed Bath and Beyond registry...


On that note, I will continue with more DR nuts and bolts tomorrow. Be sure to tune in!

11 comments:

Kira said...

Hi!!! See you in a few weeks! What is your assignment and background and such? Where are you from? What time are you getting into DC?

email me! kirapark@gmail.com

DannyHoch said...

Hey you, I like the site. Bring on the dance competition. Anyways keep up the good work. EVOL

Alma said...

Enjoy the prep as much as the journey

Don Yellum said...

Thanks for keepin me informed. I have friends who joined the Peace Corp and they still talk about the experience. I will have my students read your thoughts and experiences.

AMY said...

Hey BFF!!!
I love the site! I can't wait to see all the new dance moves when you get back... Get ready though, I'm about to enter into some serious funky cheer dance training, Whoop! Anyway, I'm excited that we are going to be pen pals for the next two years. Good luck with everything, love ya!
AMY

Zo said...

Good luck with everything Esp! I want to hear all kinds of crazy stories about like rat sized beetles or something like that! Love you!

Mai said...

Espie -

You are about to do something so amazing. We will miss you but will also be waiting and counting the days for you to get back here and into your day jumper uniform. You know you'll miss the tan lines! Anyways-I'm really glad I got to see you before you left. Take care of yourself and keep us posted!

PS - I'll keep you posted on The Hills and any of these teeny bopper trashy MTV shows!

Cheers!
Mai

Mai said...

Espie -

You are about to do something so amazing. We will miss you but will also be waiting and counting the days for you to get back here and into your day jumper uniform. You know you'll miss the tan lines! Anyways-I'm really glad I got to see you before you left. Take care of yourself and keep us posted!

PS - I'll keep you posted on The Hills and any of these teeny bopper trashy MTV shows!

Cheers!
Mai

Mai said...

PS - OOPS! Sorry for the double posting - I made a boo boo!

Christine Feaster said...

Are you excited to leave soon? Well I think you should come back to Reno and move back in because I miss my cool roommate. No, I know your going to do big things in the DR and they need you more. I bookmarked your blog so you better keep it updated. Oh and whenever Greys starts I'll keep you posted. Miss you friend.

Patrick said...

I am so excited and happy for you. I feel like you did when you were at my sisters graduation... "theyre so proud...sniff" i will deffinately be checking up on your blog and will always wish you the best of luck. haha i just noticed yellum made some comments on here, sweet. well esp stay strong and happy, my family and I all love you and wish you the best.