Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HAPPY ELECTION DAY!

Present: I, along with a ton of other PCVs, am in Santo Domingo today to watch the election coverage. Apparently, we are all supposed to put up this front and be apolitical during service. Go ahead and laugh at the thought of a Peace Corps Volunteer not expressing political views. Funny, right? Since this is a public site, all I'm going to say is ----- Get out there and vote!!! It is your obligation as an American. I don't care if you are in California, New York or Washington and think your voice doesn't matter; you are wrong. I saw a bit of Palin's appearance in Reno via CNN. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anyone that went to see Palin or Obama. How was it? I'm so excited for Nevada because it's getting so much attention as a swing state and not just because of Yucca Mountain. Again, GO ROCK THE VOTE!

Past: I recently completed a week at a Medical Mission for ear, nose and throat operations. A medical team from the U.S. (mainly Nebraska) came down and provided operations for children (some adults) of underprivileged families. 6 PCVs worked as translators in screening, pre op, operating rooms, and post op. Though it was so tiring (I'm not used to being on my feet, under flourescent lights all day), it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had as a PCV. I saw (IN THE OPERATING ROOM!) and learned a ton during that week; it was incredible. The nurses, techs and doctors we worked with were so amazing, patient, caring and encouraging. I hope to be on their side of things one day.

Future: I'm taking a small group of women (hopefully 5) from my site to a Health Promoter's Conference this weekend. PCVs in the San Jose de Ocoa, Bani and Azua regions are training about 30 women on how to use our new health manual in the communities. This is an integral part of my Peace Corps assignment. Sadly, I'm not too passionate about it. The reason? I don't believe it to be entirely sustainable. There. I spoke my peace and now I'll shrug my shoulders and do as is expected of me like a good little volunteer. :)

News: we got a raise recently. Jealous? you shouldn't be....my raise is roughy 6 dollars. That pays for a one way ticket from the Ocoa pueblo to the Peace Corps office in the capital. I guess I can't complain, afterall, I did CHOOSE this lifestyle.

Well, that's it for now. Have a great November full of pumpkin pie and black friday consumerism.

1 comment:

juvz said...

Glad to hear that you are still alive although I can track that by following your myspace bulletins. You're too funny. I like reading your surveys.

Sorry did not go see Palin or Obama but I did VOTE! I watched the election coverage and it was very emotional. That's the first time I've ever been emotional during an election but Obama had and awesome speech. Hope you got to see that.

Wow! Cool you got a raise! Yes I'm jealous, lol. Lord knows everyone in the US needs a raise. This economy is horrendous. Oh well... we'll get through.

So what is this I hear about a new puppy? Details please. Love you and take care.

Juvs