Friday, September 21, 2007

Sweat, Guagua and Yucca

First off, it´s hotter than hades here. The only time I´m not sweating is when i´m bathing. Luckily, I haven´t mastered the art of bucket baths so this usually lasts about 30 mins. hmm...1 whole hour a day of no sweat.

moving on
This week in training we´ve been using the transportation system. I officially take back anything bad I´ve ever said about the 27 on Blossom Hill. That is first-class compared to the guaguas we have to ride in the DR. They´re basically REALLY overcrowded busses (I´m talking like 3.5 people per seat). We also have carros publicos . These are usually like 1992 corrolla-ish cars with 6-7 passengers (i know, right?). The part that really sucks about this is that they don´t always have specific routes or times-you have to stop them and ask. AND you have to be really careful about which ones you take and who is riding in it with you. BART, anyone?
Next week I´m going to the Northwest part of the DR to visit a current PCV. I´m looking forward to picking her brain about her last 2 years here and her project. To get to her site, i have to travel 5 hours in a very luxurious bus (think Greyhound). Hooray for the AC!!!! Downside, I have to ride 20 minutes on a motoconcho.....pray for me.
A few things...
I´ve been here 1 week and it feels like 1 month. Things are getting frustrating and tedious. We haven´t had much time outside of our training center/barrio. This will change in about 3 weeks when we move to our training communities. Lucky me- I´ll be in the Bani area.
There was a huge thunderstorm last night. I really thought the roof was going to fly off and I would be struck by lightening. I prayed that my princess fort (mosquito net) would protect me.
The food is good but definitely starting to taste bland. I don´t know how much more yucca I´ll be able to eat before I go crazy. Please go and have a fish taco from Rubio´s for me. While you´re at it, drink a bottle of Tapatio. There are no spicy foods here. Wait, my dona (host mom) sait that the chicken from KFC is spicy and tasted really good (SERIOUSLY?!). I´m ending this.....I hope you enjoy your AC.

8 comments:

Patrick said...

sounds like a lot of fun. you always were princess espie haha get it? well if u want some KFC ill mail u a biscut. bueno suerte!

juvz said...

I can send you some laundry soap :o). LOL. No Chile! Ahh man, seriously, I wonder if I can also mail some Tapatio... gotta have that! Goodluck and I hope I make you feel better by saying.. I have no A/C either. Okay I am Lame. Love you bye.

DannyHoch said...

Ahhh your precious Princess fort. I guess its better than a shotty dorm room is some random part of who know where for camp. :) They have KFC's...ohhh very nice, but no Tapitio...thats not very nice. Dont go insane. When you come home well have a Tapitio party. Hhahaahah Evol

Christine Feaster said...

Sorry things seem so misreable so far. I know your going to have fun eventually. And beside when you get back everything will be like heaven for you. Can't wait to read what you write next.

Alma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alma said...

hi there, keep safe wear your helmet. looks like you are kept busy. years from now you will laugh or at least smile at this experience what can i say. take your fort with you where ever you go. look forward to hearing what foods and bathing facilities they will have in the NorthWest. QTCD mom

Ashley and Mike said...

Hesp I love your stories already. I cant wait to see what the rest of your time there has in store for ya! oh dear, i know how much you sweat. i bet your pits are in hell. keep your princess net close. i love you. im going to jakes pizza tonight- ill have a slice or 6 for you. i love you.
Mrs. Lee <--- HAHA fugh

J-J said...

Hi,
WE kEEP TALKING ABOUT HOW HARD THIS WHOLE THING MUST BE FOR YOU.WE'RE SO PROUD YOUR HANGING IN THERE.I'M GLAD YOUR USING YOUR MOSQUITO NET.I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO USE BUCKET'S.WOW.
LOVE YOU